What to do in the Summer – Les Gets France
Les Gets Village France, was my second stop on my trip across the Portes Du Soleil area during Summer and just like Morzine. I associated it with skiing Now I have been to Les Gets Ski Resort France on numerous occasions during winter and it has become one of my favourite Ski Resorts, not just for the skiing but because of the people too.
So going in Summer really intrigued me and I was excited to see what Les Gets had in store for me over the next few days.
Table of Contents
- 1 What to do in the Summer – Les Gets France
- 2 The Village of Les Gets
- 3 Summer Season
- 4 The Multi-Pass for Les Portes du Soleil
- 5 Play Golf with Mont Blanc as your backdrop
- 6 Help yourself to an electric bike in Les Gets
- 7 Climb amongst the trees at Aventure Parc
- 8 Take a Spa at Sereni Cimes
- 9 Food Heaven
- 10 Accommodation
- 11 Les Gets Location
- 12 Top Tips
- 13 Other Resorts in the Portes du Soleil
Pretty and unspoiled, Les Gets Village forms part of the Portes Du Soleil area, interlinking 12 resorts across both France and Switzerland. Enjoy a wide range of activities on and off the mountains with a Multi-Pass, and with a large selection of restaurants and pubs to cater for your needs, there is something for everyone.
Read More – How about Les Gets in the Winter?
The Village of Les Gets
The first thing I noticed when I arrived was just how beautiful, relaxed and green it was and how completely different it looked not covered in snow. Les Gets France itself is a traditional charming village, with cosy chalet-style restaurants and accommodation. It is a real working village that is inhabited all year around.
There is no shortage of activities during the summer period from mountain bike riding, swinging from the tress in the Adventure Park to trying to complete the inflatable obstacle course ‘Wibit’ on the lake. Meaning it is a perfect spot for both families and friends for a holiday. With Geneva airport being less than an hour away, it is also a great spot for a weekend break.
The Summer season in Les Gets, France starts in early June to early September when the first cable car opens and the last one will close. There are different opening and ending dates for the various cable cars during Summer but they are roughly open at similar times.
Whether you are hiking, bike riding or enjoying one of the other many activities, the cable cars can be used by everyone.
Lifts that are Opening during Summer in Les Gets
- Mont Chery Gondola
- Point Chair
The Multi-Pass for Les Portes du Soleil
I used a Multi-Pass across the Portes du Soleil during my summer trip to try out the activities on offer. It is a card that you can use for various activities with unlimited access to more than 60 activities in the 12 resorts across France and Switzerland. Not to mention discounts as well on other services and businesses.
You never run out of things to do and you can definitely understand why more and more families are going to this beautiful part of the world each year.
There are different types of Multi-Pass and they are super flexible, you can get them for a day, weekly or even weekends. It really depends on your needs and budget.
- The Multi-pass Séjour (visitor) for those who are staying at a Multi-Pass hotel
- A daily Multi-pass, for the occasional walker or hiker
- Season Multi-pass for those who live near the Portes du Soleil
From only 2€ a day a Multi-Pass is ideal for those who want to make the most of the mountains without spending too much money and families. Some of the activities include access to Swimming pools, cable cars for walking and hiking, tennis courts and mini golf, the list goes on. The best place to get a multi-pass is at the ski lift ticket offices.
- Check to see if you are staying in a ‘Multi Pass’ accommodation and you can get a pass for as little as 2€ (or 2.5 CHF) a day.
- The Multi Pass is FREE for children under the age of 5 years old, with proof of age.
What is included in your Multi Pass in Les Gets
- 22 lifts for pedestrians
- Swimming Pools and mountain lakes
- Mini-golfs pitches
- Village Road Train Heritage Tour
- Mechanical Music Museum
- Inter-Resort shuttles
- Tennis Courts
- Library ‘Lire Aux Gets’
- Express Chavannes Chairlift
- Lac Des Écoles (Includes an adapted swimming area)
- La Pointe Chairlift
- Mont Chéery Cable Car
Activities that you will get a discount with a Multi Pass in Les Gets
- Keolan Yoga
- Aventure Park
- Private Swimming Lesson
Play Golf with Mont Blanc as your backdrop
The Les Gets Golf Course is an 18 hole course with some impressive panoramic views of the surrounding mountains, as well as Mont Blanc. It is open during the summer period and has everything that you want for a great day out golfing. There is a clubhouse, pro shop, training area with a camera to check your swing and even a restaurant where you enjoy a drink or a meal afterwards.
I had a great morning playing golf with my fun (and very patient) instructor Luc Doucet, who not only showed me around, played golf with me but also help me to perfect my swing.
Now, I haven’t been on too many golf courses in my time but I have to say I was blown away by the views especially of Mont Blanc at the 7th hole.
- 1 Gree Fee – Starting from 43€
- 1 Green Fee “end of the day” (after 5.00pm)
- Buggy – 31€
- Trolley – 5€
- Club – 2€
- 1/2 Set of Clubs – 11€ or 1 set of Clubs – 16€
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Price: £19.93Was: £21.99
- 1 token (25 balls) – 2.50€
- 3 tokens – 6€ or 6 tokens – 10€
- 10 sessions of 3 series Video Golf – 5€
- There is a video golf in the practice area that all you need to do is scan your pass and it will film you. Great if you are trying to perfect your swing before a game.
Enjoy a spot of lunch afterwards at the Le Chalet Du Golf Restaurant
After a round of golf, why don’t you check out ‘Le Chalet Du Golf Restaurant’, located at the entrance of the golf course and adjoined to the clubhouse. The restaurant offers a variety of handmade courses with fresh salads and chips, as well as serval menu specials like Burgers and omelettes. They also have a nice selection of dessert and cakes.
If you don’t want to eat but would like a drink or a snack then that is not a problem either. You can just take in the views of the golf course on one side and the views over the Les Gets Village and surrounding mountains on the other.
Help yourself to an electric bike in Les Gets
A great way to get around Les Gets France and explore the area is to use one of the environmentally friendly electric bikes that are made available to the public. They are intended to complement the local transport service and to help the environment.
There are 5 bike areas that you can pick up and drop off a bike as and when you choose and payment is made at the end of the validity period, according to the period of use. All you need to do to get started is register on the website and then use the touchscreen stations at the bike stations to get your bike.
Being electric means not only do the mountains not feel so steep but everyone can use them.
Additional Information – Pricing
- 30 minutes a day = FREE
- Extra half hour (up to 4 hours of use) 1€ every 30 minutes
- Extra half hour (from the 5th hour of use) 2,50€ every 30 minutes
- Half-day (4h) 7€
- Full day (8h) 27€
Climb amongst the trees at Aventure Parc
If you are looking for an adventure with a group of friends or even with your family then you can not go pass taking a trip to Adventure Parc. With treetop adventures on over 86 obstacles on 7 different routes, at all different levels, there is something for everyone.
Located next to the leisure center lake where the Aquatiqure Wibit is, is a place where you can leap, swing, climb and jump around the mountain forest. The courses are designed specifically for children and some for juniors and some for adults.
Additional Information – Pricing
- Prices – Start from 12.80€ depending on the time of day
- Open – Daily from between 10am – 6pm
- Period – From late June to late August
- If you are a little scared or don’t know what you are doing, do not worry as there is always someone from Aventure Parc to assist. Best to ask them before you start which route would be best for you.
Take a Spa at Sereni Cimes
Nothing beats a nice massage or a spa after a fun day of adventures like hiking and mountain bike riding. Spa Sereni Cimes in Les Gets is definitely the place to head to. Apart from the indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi (for guests only), sauna and steam room. They have a wide range of massages and treatments to choose from to enjoy.
The Spa Sereni Cimes is located under the La Tapiaz Hotel de charme directly across from the Hotel La Marmotte in the centre of Les Gets and opens every day at 4pm. Both the hotel guests (Hotel La Marmotte and La Tapiaz Hotel) and the general public are allowed to use the spa facilities, however, if you are not a hotel guest you have to pay a fee.
I didn’t have time to go in summer but I did in winter after a day skiing and the snow pounding down outside. It was so cosy and warm inside that I immediately felt relaxed without even doing anything. The lady inside was also very welcoming too that made it more pleasurable.
- The hydrotherapy and spa area is open to adults aged 18+ only (or 16+ if accompanied by an adult).
- Children residents of the hotel are allowed in the pool if accompanied by their parents.
Nothing beats enjoying a hearty lunch or dinner when you have been enjoying outdoor activities like hiking. The main problem is deciding where you are going to eat. Here are a couple of recommendations you may like for lunch and dinner:
Restaurant Du Lac (The Lake Restaurant)
Situated on the Lake, near both the Wibit and the Adventure Parc with some beautiful views is Restaurant Du Lac (Also known as The Lake Restaurant). The menu is simple, homemade and really good if you stick to one of the two daily specials you can’t go wrong.
The staff were really friendly and welcoming and it was so nice sitting outside on the balcony taking in the views while enjoying my lunch with a glass of Rose in hand.
- This is a great spot if you want to stop for lunch or even a break in between swimming or exploring the Les Gets Village.
They say that Les Chev has some of the best views over Les Gets and of Mont Blac and I agree. I have been here in both winter and summer with two completely different views and both are just as stunning as each other.
Located in the Mont Caly area, this chalet style building is surrounded by a large terrace taking advantage of the views across the Les Gets France and Mont Blanc on a clear day.
The family run restaurant serves all your traditional favourites like fondue, raclette and local cured meats. I heard that they do some of the best Tartiflette in the area and they weren’t kidding, it was amazing. It was so good that I had it both times that I was there.
If you have the time and you like outdoors, you can get to this restaurant via cross country skiing in winter and hiking in the summer.
- If you love Sunset this is a great spot to watch the sun come down. The colours in the sky are amazing and especially behind Mont Blanc.
Fruitière des Perrières
If you love history and you love cheese then Fruitiére des Perriéres is definitely not to be missed during your stay. Not only do they have some of the best cheese in Les Gets France but it is locally made right next door to the restaurant. The restaurant looks like it is in a rustic style barn and I felt like I was going to have a home-cooked meal.
I was informed that the restaurant used to be the family cheese making factory and that due to European law coming in they were not able to make cheese in there anymore, so they build a new factory right next door and turned the old one into a restaurant.
- If you are looking for someone for a group of friends or family this is a great spot.
Les Gets Village has a wide variety of accommodation spread out in the village. Most of the main hotels are situated in the centre but don’t be discouraged to stay further out. A 15-20min walk would be the most to get you back to your accommodation and there is a regular bus service that covers the whole of the Les Gets Village.
La Marmotte Hôtels-Chalets de Tradition
The chalet hotel La Marmotte and Spa is a charming and pretty hotel located opposite the bike track (ski fields) and only a few hundred meters away from both the Chavannes Gondal and Chavannes chairlift. The hotel had a heated indoor swimming pool with a sauna and jacuzzi. You also had free access to the hydro-relaxation area and massage rooms.
If it is food you are looking for in a restaurant, well the Chalet Hotel La Marmotte had 4 restaurants which were both on and off the mountain as well as two bars. Their service was really great too and I loved coming back in the afternoon and relaxing with a drink in the comfy couches in the living area. I really felt like I was at home.
I had a very spacious corner room on the second floor with a lovely balcony with views directly over the bike park (or ski fields in Winter). The bed was super comfy and the internet worked really well in the room, which is something I always look for in a hotel. I also had a desk with power points and two little sitting areas, one on the balcony and one in the room to take advantage of the views.
Whether you are enjoying a summer holiday hiking in the mountains or skiing, chalet hotel La Marmotte and Spa France is in a great place to stay and in an ideal location.
- If you are in Les Gets for the Crankworx World Tour, then this is a great hotel to stay in. Not only do you have direct views of the course but it is about a 100 meters away from the finish line.
Hotel Le Nagano
Another option is Hotel Le Nagano, which is where I stayed during the Rock the Pistes festival Portes du Soleil during winter. Located right across the road from the main ski slopes and in the heart of Les Gets France. The hotel has a swimming pool, a gym and sauna. We didn’t drive but I also understand that there is also free uncovered parking and garage. This is sometimes hard to find with a nice hotel without paying extra.
We had a lovely spacious room that was decorated in a charming chalet style with a glass door that opened onto a balcony with views of the slopes and tourism office. The room also had good Free-Wifi that worked well and a desk with power outlets, this is always a bonus when travelling.
Les Gets Location
The closest international airport is Geneva which is only an hour from Les Gets France. Making it one of the quickest and most accessible resorts to get to in Europe, especially for a weekend break.
Due to this there are numerous ways of getting to Les Gets like buses, trains, private transfer, shared transfer or hire a car . All vary in price depending on what you can afford.
The best way to get to Les Gets France is via a transfer, whether shared or private. There are not as many transfer companies in the summer as during the winter season, however, there are still good ones available.
As I was with the tourism board, I was picked up and I did not use one of the transfer companies. You can try companies like Ski-Lifts who run through both winter and summer season.
- We all need WIFI and if you can’t find any, you can go to the tourism office and use the wireless access for FREE.
- Go to Mont-Chery with your MultiPass to take in the views around Les Gets, the Alps and of Mont Blanc.
- Visit the Mechanical-Music museum for its music boxes, phonographs, organs and the mechanical bells used for the 150th anniversary of the Savoie’s annexation to France.
- There are 4 bus routes that run through the village every 15 minutes during the school holidays for FREE.
- If you want to use the Internet in the mountains but don’t want to be charged a fortune, you can rent a ‘Pocket Wifi’ from the Tourist Office. Then you can always stay connected.
- Love the water and obstacle course, then you can’t go past using the Wibit. Which is a large a large, floating, inflatable obstacle course to play on
Other Resorts in the Portes du Soleil
If you are interested in discovering more of the Portes Du Soleil in either Summer or Winter, you can check out my following articles. All are great options for a ski weekend trip with friends or with family.
- A Summer Guide – Morzine, France
- Champéry Ski Resort (Also known as part of the new Région Dents du Midi ) – Champery, Switzerland
- Ski Chatel Ski Resorts – Chatel, France
- Sunrise Hike and Breakfast on an Alpine Farm – Morgins, Switzerland
Thank you for reading this article ‘What to do in the Summertime – Les Gets France’, I hope it helped you to decide where to go for your next action-packed Summer Holiday.
Have you been to Les Gets France during the Summer or Winter? I would love to hear your experiences in the comments below.
Remember that you need to get some good Hiking Boots before your next adventure.
If you want to take a break from your Adventures or are staying in Geneva for the day before or after your trip. Then there is plenty to do.