When you think of a Turkish summer holiday, Marmaris Turkey comes to mind to a lot of people and not surprisingly because there are a lot of amazing things to do. From taking a dip in Turgut Falls to taking a cruise down Azmak River, the problem is deciding what to do when you’re there to get the most out of your trip.
Table of Contents
- 1 What to do in Marmaris Turkey
- 2 Take a dip in Turgut Falls
- 3 Visit Marmaris Honey House and learn about the Bees
- 4 Try a Traditional Turkish Bath Marmaris
- 5 Take a cruise on Azmak River in Akyaka
- 6 Other top things to do in Marmaris
- 7 Getting to Marmaris
- 8 Top Tips for visiting Marmaris
- 9 Discover more places around the Mediterranean Sea
- 10 You may also like
What to do in Marmaris Turkey
With Marmaris being a popular destination for boats, cruise liners and also for tourists flying into the nearby Dalaman International Airport, I can understand why it is one of the most popular Turkish destinations on the Mediterranean.
Read How about taking an adventure in Oludeniz Dalaman Turkey
Not to mention a coastline strung with stunning beaches and marinas, trendy cocktail bars and delicious restaurants to indulge in too.
Take a dip in Turgut Falls
Turgut Falls or also known as Selale (‘waterfall’ in Turkish), are two small narrow waterfalls located southwest of Marmaris Dalaman region. The area around the waterfall is a wide valley with forests and lush greenery. The whole area has been carved out as a conservation area and has been under the Turkish government control since 2011.
⇒ Do you require a visa for Marmaris Dalaman before you go? You can check and see if there are any requirement.
The place has been a big attraction with both local and foreign visitors recently and I can see why. You may take a short nature walk through the forest and take in the serene atmosphere. or you can take a dip in the small lake below the waterfall to keep cool.
If you are wanting to take a break from the beach or are up for seeing some pretty waters and discovering nature, then this is a great option. Also, If you have a gopro, this is the place to bring it and use it under the waterfalls to get some amazing pictures.
- It gets really busy here and it is not big, I would recommend going late in the afternoon or early morning. Especially if you want pictures of the waterfalls without people getting in them.
Visit Marmaris Honey House and learn about the Bees
Visiting a honey centre may not be at the top of some people’s summer holiday to do list in Marmaris but it is one you should think about adding to your list, especially if you love sweet things and history. Me personally, I find Bees fascinating insects, so when we took a trip to the Marmaris Honey House, I was somewhat intrigued.
Turkey itself ranks in the top 5 honey producing countries in the world and the centre was created to not only raise awareness of bees but also produce pine, honey. I was pleasantly surprised what I learnt about bees and the whole set up of the exhibition, you even get to see the real queen bee with her workers making honey and living everyday life (don’t worry they are behind glass).
The building is even built like a honeycomb and they have a children’s playground area for the young ones and a small cafe to enjoy honey drinks and yoghurt. The only real problem is deciding what yummy honey products you want to purchase!
- Try the natural honey that they have on tap, it is delicious even for people that don’t like sweets.
Try a Traditional Turkish Bath Marmaris
Additional Treatments about Marmaris Turkish bath
- Facial masks
- Different types of massages like using Stones
- Pedicures and manicures
- Make sure you take your bathers along and if you can leave any jewellery at your accommodation, as you can’t wear it.
Plan in advance by booking your Turkish bath in Marmaris through GetYourGuide.
Take a cruise on Azmak River in Akyaka
One of the top things to do in Marmaris is to have lunch (or dinner) at one of the riverside restaurants. Before taking a cruise down Azmak River through the aquarium like crystal clear waters. Where not only can you admire the wildlife above like the many types of birds but also underneath the water, where you watch the fish and turtles swim about.
Located just outside the town of Akyaka is the Azmak River, a stunning natural paradise which is considered to be a hidden gem amongst the local people. Whether you have lunch there, take a boat ride or even a swim, you will love the chilled atmosphere the area has about it and you will find you come away more relaxed.
⇒ Looking for other places to visit that involve culture and history. How about Malta and Gozo
- If you have time, I recommend spending half a day here and having lunch or dinner at one of the riverside restaurants. It was so nice watching the water and ducks at lunch.
Other top things to do in Marmaris
If you looking for other ideas for places to visit while in Marmaris. Here are just a few top things to do in and around Marmaris that involve either history or outdoor activities.
- Marmaris Castle – Is one of the few castles in Turkey that also possesses a museum.
Grand Bazaar – Shopping and market. Great spot for tasting local dishes
İçmeler Beach – Public beach with restaurants nearby
Marmaris Amphitheatre – Historical amphitheatre
Atlantis Water Park – Aqua waterpark with mini-golf facilities
Keci Island – Visit the island, where water activities are available.
Here are some amazing activities that you can book while in Marmaris, Dalaman Turkey before you go.
Accommodation in Marmaris
Being a popular summer destination for European travellers there is no shortage of places to stay in Marmaris Turkey. You can stay in anything from hostel’s and apartments for budget travellers to one of the 5 Star hotels situated along the Mediterranean Sea. Most of the accommodation is walking distance, from the harbour and the center of town. However, if you don’t feel like walking, there are lots of options of getting around like catching a golf buggy or even the local bus.
Accommodation in Turkey uses European adapters for electrical equipment, which has two round pins
⇒ Check the current availability of accommodation for the Marmaris Turkey area.
Grand Azur Marmaris
I stayed at the luxury beachfront hotel Grand Azur located only 15-20mins walk from the central Marmaris and marina. The hotel has a stunning freshwater pool set in a tropical setting, as well as a private beach. If food and drinking is your thing then you will be glad to the know the resort has 5 bars (including the pool bar) and 2 restaurants.
Grand Azur Marmaris was the perfect spot for that summer holiday. Not only did it look like I was in paradise, but it was also in a great location right on the Mediterranean Sea. You can read reviews on Trip Advisor.
- Go down to the beach bar and have a glass of wine while watching the sunset before dinner one night.
Getting to Marmaris
Marmaris is part of the Dalaman Region on the southwestern coast of Turkey. The closest international airport is Dalaman Airport and it is roughly 95kms away. It should take you 1 and a half hours to get from Dalaman airport to Marmaris via car.
I flew with Jet2 airlines as apart of Dalaman with Jet2 Holidays, which currently services 9 airports routes from the UK and various other areas in Europe. From Dalaman airport, it is easily accessible to reach the 7 Resorts areas that are currently serviced by Jet2 in the Dalaman area.
⇒Take your holiday to the next level and obtain a Priority Pass Membership. Where you can gain access to over 1500 lounges that offer complimentary refreshments, FREE Wi-Fi and so much more.
The best way to get to MarmarisDalaman is via transfer, whether shared or private. If you are taking a Jet2 package, they will give you a choice of options, however, all will depend on how much you want to spend.
Hire a car to drive around Marmaris
Alternatively, you can hire a car to get around Marmaris and Turkey’s top attractions, especially if there is a group of you. There are numerous companies at Dalaman Airport where you can hire a car. Hire a Sav Nav with the car if you are worried about getting lost.
⇒ Check out Travel Supermarket for FREE, easy fast comparison on car hire in Dalaman.
Top Tips for visiting Marmaris
- Check out the dancing Fountains located in the center of Marmaris which has different music every night.
- Wifi; Have non-stop WiFi access in Turkey to keep everyone updated with your activities.
- If you are wanting nightlife and clubs then head to the main strip to indulge in drinking and dancing till dawn.
- Have dinner or drinks at the High Side Restaurant, which has great views over the marina especially at night.
- Sunscreen: Marmaris gets really hot during the summer period, please make sure to wear the appropriate lotion.
- I felt safe travelling in Marmaris turkey for me and I had no trouble.
- Keep hydrated; Best to have a 1 Litre bladder bag (Also known as Hydration bladder) or a sports water bottle to keep you hydrated. Especially during the hot summer months in Marmaris.
Discover more places around the Mediterranean Sea
Millions of people flock to seaside cities along the Mediterranean coast every year for a summer holiday. Discover some of these places around the Mediterranean, which are just pure paradise. Feel free to read my following articles.
- What to do in Larnaca Cyprus
- Best things to do in Malta and Gozo
- Top Things to do in Oludeniz
- Free Self-guided walking tour in Nicosia Cyprus
⇒ Make sure that you do not require a visa for Marmaris Dalaman before you go? You can check and see if there are any requirement.
Thank you for reading this article ‘What to do in Marmaris, Turkey’, I hope it helped you to decide what to do in Marmaris. It is such a great place with lots of things to do, plenty of history and nice places to eat.
Have you been to Marmaris Turkey?
Please feel free to share your experience in the comments below or if you know any other places to see while in Dalaman or the surrounding area.