What to do in Marmaris Turkey
When you think of a Turkish summer holiday, Marmaris Turkey comes to mind to a lot of people and not surprisingly because there are a lot of amazing things to do. From taking a dip in Turgut Falls to taking a cruise down Azmak River, the problem is deciding what to do when you’re there to get the most out of your trip.
Table of Contents
- 1 What to do in Marmaris Turkey
- 2 Take a dip in Turgut Falls
- 3 Visit Marmaris Honey House and learn about the Bees
- 4 Experience A Turkish Bath
- 5 Take a cruise on Azmak River in Akyaka
- 6 Accommodation
- 7 Location and How to get there
- 8 Top Tips
- 9 Discover more of Europe
With Marmaris resort being a popular destination for boats, cruise liners and also for tourists flying into the nearby Dalaman International Airport, I can understand why it is one of the most popular Turkish destinations on the Mediterranean.
Not to mention a coastline strung with stunning beaches and marinas, trendy cocktail bars and delicious restaurants to indulge in too.
Take a dip in Turgut Falls
Turgut Falls or also known as Selale (‘waterfall’ in Turkish), are two small narrow waterfalls located southwest of Marmaris Dalaman region. The area around the waterfall is a wide valley with forests and lush greenery. The whole area has been carved out as a conservation area and has been under the Turkish government control since 2011.
The place has been a big attraction with both local and foreign visitors recently and I can see why. You may take a short nature walk through the forest and take in the serene atmosphere. or you can take a dip in the small lake below the waterfall to keep cool.
If you are wanting to take a break from the beach or are up for seeing some pretty waters and discovering nature, then this is a great option.
You may also like: – Top Things to do in Oludeniz Dalaman Turkey
- It gets really busy here and it is not big, I would recommend going late in the afternoon or early morning. Especially if you want pictures of the waterfalls without people getting in them.
Visit Marmaris Honey House and learn about the Bees
Visiting a honey centre may not be at the top of some people’s summer holiday in Marmaris but it is one you should think about adding to your list, especially if you love sweet things and history. Me personally, I find Bees fascinating insects, so when we took a trip to the Marmaris Honey House, I was somewhat intrigued.
Turkey itself ranks in the top 5 honey producing countries in the world and the centre was created to not only raise awareness of bees but also produce pine, honey. I was pleasantly surprised what I learnt about bees and the whole set up of the exhibition, you even get to see the real queen bee with her workers making honey and living everyday life (don’t worry they are behind glass).
The building is even built like a honeycomb and they have a children’s playground area for the young ones and a small cafe to enjoy honey drinks and yoghurt. The only real problem is deciding what yummy honey products you want to purchase!
- Try the natural honey that they have on tap, it is delicious even for people that don’t like sweets.
Experience A Turkish Bath
Now the only hard decision is whether to have one at the start of your holiday to start your trip on the right foot or at the end to make you feel all smooth before going home.
- Facial masks
- Different types of massages like using Stones
- Pedicures and manicures
- Make sure you take your bathers along and if you can leave any jewellery at your accommodation, as you can’t wear it.
Take a cruise on Azmak River in Akyaka
Have lunch (or dinner) at one of the riverside restaurants before taking a cruise down Azmak River through the aquarium like crystal clear waters. Where not only can you admire the wildlife above like the many types of birds but also underneath the water, where you watch the fish and turtles swim about.
Located just outside the town of Akyaka is the Azmak River, a stunning natural paradise which is considered to be a hidden gem amongst the local people. Whether you have lunch there, take a boat ride or even a swim, you will love the chilled atmosphere the area has about it and you will find you come away more relaxed.
- If you have time, I recommend spending half a day here and having lunch or dinner at one of the riverside restaurants. It was so nice watching the water and ducks at lunch.
With Marmaris Turkey being a popular summer destination for European travellers, especially the English, there is definitely no shortage of accommodation within the city. You can stay in anything from hostel’s and apartments for budget travellers to one of the 5 Star hotels if you are looking for luxury.
D-Resort Grand Azur Marmaris
I stayed at the luxury beachfront hotel D-Resort Grand Azur Marmaris located only 15-20mins walk from the central Marmaris and marina. The hotel has a stunning freshwater pool set in a tropical setting, as well as a private beach. If food and drinking is your thing then you will be glad to the know the resort has 5 bars (including the pool bar) and 2 restaurants.
Whether you are on a romantic getaway with your partner or holidaying with family, D-Resort Grand Azur Marmaris is the perfect spot for that summer holiday.
- Go down to the Beach bar and have a glass of wine while watching the sunset before dinner one night.
Location and How to get there
Marmaris is part of the Dalaman Region on the southwestern coast of Turkey and the closest international airport is Dalaman International Airport. It is about 95kms away from the airport and should take around a 1hr and half to Marmaris via car.
I flew with Jet2 airlines as apart of Dalaman with Jet2 Holidays, which currently services 9 airports routes from the UK and various other areas in Europe. From Dalaman airport, it is easily accessible to reach the 7 Resorts areas that are currently serviced by Jet2 in the Dalaman area.
The best way to get to Marmaris Dalaman is via transfer, whether shared or private. If you are taking a Jet2 package, they will give you a choice of options, however, all will depend on how much you want to spend.
- Check out the dancing Fountains located in the center of Marmaris which has different music every night and are great to watch.
- If you are wanting nightlife and clubs then head to the main strip to indulge in drinking and dancing till dawn.
- Have dinner or drinks at the High Side Restaurant, which has great views over the marina especially at night.
- If you decide to stay in Oludeniz instead, I highly recommend Liberty Hotel Oludeniz
Discover more of Europe
If you are interested in discovering more of Europe, feel free to read my following articles. All are great options for groups of friends or family.
- Old Docks – Historic Pub, Food & Beer Tour – London, England
- A village Preserved in Time – Edam – Netherlands
- What to do in the Summer – Les Gets, France
- Top Things to do in Oludeniz – Oludeniz, Turkey
Thank you for reading this article ‘What to do in Marmaris, Turkey’, I hope it helped you to decide what to do in Marmaris. It is such a great place with lots of things to do and nice places to eat.
Have you been to Marmaris, Dalaman Turkey before? Please feel free to share your experience in the comments below or if you know any other places to see while in Dalaman or the surrounding area.
Here are some amazing activities that you can book while in Marmaris, Dalaman Turkey before you go.