It is difficult not to be impressed with the picturesque Engadin St Moritz Ski Resort Switzerland. You can see why both royalty and some of the worlds elite choose to come here for their winter holidays. It contains luxurious 5-star hotels that look like palaces, hosts some of the most prestigious events.
As well as world-class skiing on over 350kms of ski slopes and an array of non-ski activities.
Table of Contents
- St Moritz Ski Resort
- Engadin St Moritz Ski Resort
- Ski Runs & Pass
- Free shuttle bus
- Overview of the St Moritz Ski Area
- Other Activities in the Resort
- Visit the Olympia Bobsled & Cresta Run
- Take a Tour and Whisky Tasting at Devil’s Place
- Resort Location & How to get there
- Trains from Zurich
- Accommodation in St Moritz
- Hotel Nira Alpina
- Top Tips for the St Moritz Ski Resort
- Other Ski Resorts in Switzerland
St Moritz Ski Resort
It is hard to believe that it has been 150 years since winter tourism was initiated in Engadin St Moritz Switzerland and it is still considered to be one of the worlds best all-round Ski resorts.
As I got off the snow train from Davos I knew straight away that it was in a resort like no other, especially as my transfer was a BMW Sports car and another transfer vehicle at the train station was a Rolls Royce!
However, there was so much more to this beautiful winter resort and I could not wait to explore during my 4 days here.
⇒ Click on the link to check out the latest deals on skiing in Switzerland with Neilson Holidays.
If you or someone you know is unsure about what steps to take before going skiing with a Pacemaker or Defibrillator (ICD). Then this article Travelling with a Pacemaker or Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD), covers all aspects.
Engadin St Moritz Ski Resort
Engadin St Moritz Ski Resort is a fabulous place for both skiers and non-skiers with an endless list of activities and events during the winter period. From being a spectator at the ice cricket with some of the worlds best cricketers, watching the horse-racing on lake St Moritz or taking a Toboggan on Muottas Muragl mountain, you are really spoilt for choice.
Engadin St Moritz skiing area is divided across two main mountains with 4 Main Ski Areas and 5 other smaller areas. It covers an area of over 350kms of piste runs. Some of these areas are connected via lifts, while others you can get to via the local bus. It really depends on the area that you want to be in and what you are doing.
I was supposed to do a Snow Safari with my guide John Webster, unfortunately, due to bad weather conditions the chairlifts were closed and my skiing was limited. We did, however, start off in the Corvatsch ski area until it was shut down due to the wind.
So we headed over to the Corviglia mountain where both the St.Moritz Dorf-Chantarella & Chantarella-Corviglia trains were open.
Ski Runs & Pass
Engadin St Moritz Ski passes are really flexible, you can get a lift pass for the individual areas, as well as Full-day, half-day, morning and afternoon, passes. There are 4 Main Ski Areas Corvatsch / Diavolezza (Lagalb)/ Corviglia (Piz Nair) / Zuoz and 5 other smaller areas, Samedan / Pontresina (Languard)/ Maloja / La Punt / S-chanf.
It really depends on your experience, comfort, budget or the activity that you may be doing. St Moritz ski passes will be in Swiss Franc.
How about these Ski Goggles for your next trip
Free shuttle bus
A free shuttle bus provides links between Silvaplana, Surlej and Corvatsch. The Corvatsch ski area is linked to St. Moritz’s Corviglia by a 2.5 miles ski run.
Children under the age of 6 years can travel free of charge when accompanied by an adult, depending on the area.
Overview of the St Moritz Ski Area
- 4 Main Ski Areas – Corvatsch / Diavolezza (Lagalb)/ Corviglia (Piz Nair) / Zuoz
- 5 other small special areas ( Samedan / Pontresina (Languard)/ Maloja / La Punt / S-chanf
- 57 lifts
- 82 ski slopes
- 350km (217 miles)
- Toboggan on Muottas Muragl Mountain
- 3 SnowParks – Geschlossen / Offen x 2
⇒ Make sure that you have the correct travel insurance cover before skiing in St Mortiz Switzerland. Compare the best holiday insurance for FREE
Highlights of things to do in Engadin St Moritz ski resort
Other Activities in the Resort
There is so much more you can do during winter in Engadin St Moritz Ski area. From dog sledging, curling to simply just enjoy the food and Swiss wine. I like to mix up my days by skiing half a day anazd doing an activity for the other half.
Here are some other winter acitvities to do in St Moritz Ski area
- Go tobogganing on the trails in Engadin
- Looking for adventure try your hand at Snowkiting on Lake Silvaplana.
- Check out Casino St Moritz, Europe’s highest-altitude casino
- Get out of the cold and go indoor climbing at Serlas Parc
- Take an adventure and go Ice-climbing up waterfalls along the Bernina gorge
Feeling adventurous, here are some of the other amazing activities you can book in St Moritz Ski Resort
Visit the Olympia Bobsled & Cresta Run
It is not a trip to Engadin St Moritz Ski Resort without visiting the world famous Olympic Bobsled track (or Cresta Run) that has staged events for two Olympic Winter Games. It is the oldest bobsleigh track in the world and the last remaining natural ice track in existence.
The Cresta is the original and infamously men-only home of the skeleton. Women have not been allowed to compete on the Cresta course since 1929.
With speeds of up to 130km/h (80mph) and the centrifugal force of 4.5 G this looked like the ultimate adventure ride.
Take a guest ride on the bobsled
If you are game enough and up for a 75-second adrenalin rush then you can take a guest ride on St. Moritz’s bob track. You will go down the track in a four-man bob and sit in the middle with a professional pilot in front and brakeman at the back.
I would have loved to have tried this but the Chinese women’s team was training for the Pyeongchang 2018 Olympics at the time. I was in awe watching these ladies and impressed at how fast they went flying down the track. It must take a lot of courage to go head first down that track.
- Cost – CHF 250- per person
- Track Walks: – CHF 200.- (10-15 people) approx. 1 hour
- Free to watch from the start of the course
- Season: – Starts Mid December – Ends early March
- The minimum Age: – 18
Make sure that have the right camera for taking all those action shots of people zooming down the Bobsled.
Take a Tour and Whisky Tasting at Devil’s Place
If you are a Whisky lover then Devil’s Place, at the Waldhaus is a place you want to visit. With over 2,500 different kinds of whisky, it is the largest selection in the world and has gained a place in the ‘Guinness Book of World Records’.
The hotel Waldhaus has a whisky display area, so you can admire most of the collection while you enjoy a drink. If you are up for it, Devils Place also offers a variety of whisky tastings depending on your budget and tastes. They even have a 22,000 CHF bottle of Whisky on display.
Afterwards, enjoy a fondue in The hotel Waldhaus restaurant and take in the stunning views of Lake St Moritz
- Small (x4) 45 CHF
- Large (x5) 65 CHF
- Deluxe (x6) 90 CHF
- See if you are able to go down to the whisky cellar which also houses some of this impressive collection
Resort Location & How to get there
Zurich Airport is the closest major international airport to St Mortiz Ski Resort. There is a smaller airport Samedan Engadin Airport only 10 minutes drive to St Moritz. But it is only for private jets and helicopter transfers.
If you don’t have a private jet or are taking a helicopter transfer, your best options from Zurich to Davos are trains, transfers and driving. The drive it is roughlty 3 hour drive in good weather conditions by train it is about 3 hours.
If you like to get a FREE, easy and fast comparison of flights to Zurich Airport, then try out Travel Supermarket flight comparison site.
⇒ Instantly save on airport parking before leaving any UK airports.
- Check with the airline that you are travelling with because some of them allow you to check your skis on the plane for free.
Davos Switzerland is another ski resort you can get to from Zurich airport
Trains from Zurich
The most cost-effective way to get from Zurich to St Moritz via train. This should take you around 3 and half hours from the Zurich Aiport to St Moritz train station, depending on changes.
If you have ever caught a train in Switzerland you know that they are always on time and are efficient. Not to mention some of the prettiest train rides in the world.
Booking your train from Zurich to St Moritz
You can book your train in advance and keep track of the trains and platforms using the SBS train app.
The standard Train route:
Zurich Airport → Zurich Central Station → Chur (You change onto the Snow train)→ St Moritz
Accommodation in St Moritz
No question about it St Moritz Ski Resort has some of the most prestigious 5 star hotels in the world like Badrutts Palace Hotel and the Kulm Hotel. However, there is also a large variety of other types of accommodation that are available from chalets, apartments and even hostels. There is definitely something for everyone with any type of budget.
Hotels in Switzerland use two different types of plugs for electrical equipment. Plug type C (which has two round pins) and type J ( which has three round pins).
Check the current availability of accommodation for the St Moritz Switzerland area.
- Beware when booking a hotel, as the resort is divided into three separate villages which are spread out.
Hotel Nira Alpina
I stayed at the Hotel Nira Alpina a stunning ski-in and ski-out contemporary hotel, located at the foot of the Corvatsch mountain and adjacent to the Corvatsch cable car. With views of the Engadin Mountains, some would say it is in one of the best skiing locations in the Engadin.
Rooms at Hotel Nira Alpina
I had a luxury modern room with floor-to-ceiling window that opened onto a private corner balcony. I loved waking up in the morning and having the mountains as my backdrop. The hotel also had a spa that includes a sauna, a well-equipped gym, a bakery and 3 restaurants as well as a rooftop bar.
I enjoyed coming back in the afternoon and having a relaxing drink at the rooftop bar with the panoramic views over Lake Sivaplana. Whether you are skiing or enjoying a summer holiday hiking in the mountains, Hotel Nira Alpina Switzerland is a great place to stay.
- Children are only allowed in the spa area up to 5.30pm and then it is adults only.
- The hotel provides a kids club for children over 3 years
- Guests staying 2 nights or more get reduced ski passes directly at the hotel during the winter season.
Top Tips for the St Moritz Ski Resort
- You can take a train from Engadin St Moritz Ski Resort to Davos Ski Resort, which is only 1hr and 28minutes. If you wanted to spend a few days in each resort and basically having the best of both worlds. Skiing in two amazing Ski resorts.
- The currency used in Davos Switzerland is Swiss Franc
- Check with your hotel to see if they are doing any deals with ski passes, as sometimes you can get a ski pass for half the price than if you buy it on the day.
- When walking around St Moritz, make sure to wear good shoes for walking in the snow, so you don’t slip.
- Transfer; Book a transfer in advance from Zurich to St Moritz in winter
Other Ski Resorts in Switzerland
Discover other Ski Resorts in Switzerland, then feel free to read the following. All are great options for ski holidays.
- A Guide on Things to Do – Davos, Switzerland
- Attending the Lauberhorn Ski Races – Wengen Switzerland
- A traditional Swiss stay at the Le Chalet de l’Atelier – Champéry Switzerland
- Summer Skiing in Switzerland – Saas-Fee Switzerland
⇒ Make sure that you have the right travel insurance so your mind can be at ease when you are hitting the ski slopes. Compare the best holiday insurance for FREE
ENGADIN ST. MORITZ – Panorama Muottas Muragl Copyright by ENGADIN St. Moritz By-line: swiss-image.ch/Christof Sonderegger
Thank you for reading this article on Engadin St Moritz Ski Resort Switzerland. I hope it helped you find what you are looking for in your next ski destination.
Have you been to Engadin St Moritz Ski Resort before? I would love to hear your experiences in the comments below.
Staying in Zurich before or after your ski holiday, then there is plenty of activities to do while in the city.