A Summer Winter Sports Region
The glacier village of Saas-Fee Switzerland is definitely a summer winter sports paradise, not just for outdoor lovers but also skiers and snowboards as well. It is known as “The Pearl of the Alps” and is one of the most picturesque villages in the Swiss Alps that I have ever seen.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Skiing on a glacier in summer is something that has been on my bucket list for a long time. So I jumped at the chance to try it in one of Europe’s most recognised summer ski areas. If anything, going to Saas-Fee cemented why Switzerland is one of my favourite countries to visit.
About Saas-Fee Ski Resort Switzerland
Pretty and relatively unspoiled the resort village of Saas-Fee definitely has a very Swiss feel and look about it, especially with the chalet style hotels dotted around and the glaciers dominating high above the village. Not to mention it is only one of nine Swiss Resorts that is car-free, enabling you to fully enjoy the mountain experience and the Swiss mountain way of life.
At more than 4,000m above sea level Saas-Fee ski area is in the heart of the Swiss Alps and is one of the highest in the Alps. The Saas Valley which comprises of 4 Swiss resort villages (Saas-Fee, Saas-Almagell, Saas-Grund and Saas-Balen) forms part of the Valais area that compromises of some of the most upscale and famous Alpine resorts in the world.
The Citizens Pass for Summer
If you are staying in the Saas Valley for more than one night and your host is part of the partner businesses. You can obtain a ‘Guest Card’ thanks to the Citizens Pass and benefit from the many advantages offered.
You will be able to use 10 of the 11 cableways free of charge (the exception being the Metro Alpin) as well as the PostBus throughout the Saas Valley. Allowing you to easily move between the Saas Valley area and take full advantage of the mountains
- Check with your host (accommodation) and see if this something that they provide.
Skiing doesn’t need to stop because it is summer, in Saas-Fee Switzerland, you can ski up on the lofty Allalin glacier from mid July to the end of October near the Mittelallalin summit. Depending on the weather, the area opens from between 7am/8am and closes at between 12noon to 3pm everyday.
While you’re unlikely to experience fresh powder, you can still get great conditions skiing during Summer. Especially when the melting and freezing of old snow happens due to the weather getting warmer. The ski area is a mix of blue and red slopes, so do not worry if you are not an advanced skier or snowboarder.
- Take a pair of shoes to change into after skiing, as it can get really hot back in the village. It is not a great feeling walking back in ski boots (or snow boots) when it is when it is so hot. I just had my had my flipflops and pair of jeans to change into and it made a whole world of difference.
Overview of the Saas-Fee Summer Ski Area
- Ski Area is accessed via cable car and one of the highest funicular trains
- 20 kms pistes
- 2 lines of kickers in the freestyle park
- A hip jump, rails, boxes and superpipe
- A revolving restaurant and ice grotto at the entrance to the ski area (Which can be accessed even if you are not skiing)
Can you Ski all day?
Skiing in summer is definitely different than skiing during the winter season, for one you can’t ski all day long. The other major difference is that you ski super early and finish around midday.
This is to allow the optimum conditions for both skiers and snowboards. You don’t want to be skiing in slush and even going over rocks and scratching your equipment.
Where to Eat and Drink
Have a drink or something to eat at Revolving Restaurant Allalin, Saas-Fee. Known as the highest revolving restaurant in the world at 3,500 meters above sea level (11,482 ft) on the glacier of the Mittelallalin.
Reviews of Revolving Restaurant Allalin, Saas-Fee Switzerland on Trip Advisor
- Make sure that you take up sunscreen, it might be really early but it gets hot quick and the sun reflects off the snow.
Sign up for a WinterCARD 2018/19
If you enjoy Summer skiing on the glacier then how about signing up for the WinterCARD pass for the 2018/2019 season. The WinterCARD is a subsided season ticket that is valid in Saas-Fee, Saas-Grund, Saas-Almagell that covers 150kms of snow-covered pistes across the 3 ski resorts.
The best bit due to the altitude is you are guaranteed snow at least 5 months of the year. Meaning with the WinterCARD you can ski and snowboard in one of the most snow reliable ski areas in the Alps.
The WinterCARD season pass is at an incredible price and is considered to be the best priced season pass in Europe! It is less than paying for a 4 day ski pass in Saas-Fee.
However, you will only receive your WinterCARD if at least 66,666 orders are received by 31st of October. So you better hurry because I don’t want anyone to miss out on this great deal.
What to do other than Skiing
What I like about summer skiing is I think you get the best of both worlds from a resort. You can ski early in the morning and then have the afternoon to explore other outdoor activities that are available.
You are definitely spoilt for choice in the glacier village of Saas-Fee, from your usual hiking, biking, golfing and swimming. You can also do amazing adventures like glacier trekking, via ferrata or take a thrilling ride on the feeblitz toboggan run.
Or you can just relax and breathe in the fresh mountain air and indulge in traditional Swiss food and wine. All are definitely a great option in my eyes.
Read More – Learn to Snowboard or Ski in England
- Go skiing in the morning and then head up the Spielboden cableway to Langfluh in the afternoon to take in the panoramic views.
- Check with your accommodation if you get any discount with the ‘Guest Card’
I stayed at the charming family-run Park Hotel which was situated in a prime position. Only 5minutes walk from PostBus terminal (Village Car Park), right next to the tourist office and within walking distance to the shops and restaurants.
The hotel staff were really nice and went out of their way to help, they gave me a lift when I needed to get to the cable cars and every time they saw me they would say hi and ask how everything was going. Sometimes it is just the little things that can make all the difference.
My room was a good size with a comfortable double bed and all your mod cons like TV etc. The bathroom was also a good size with a great hot shower and a bath, which is always great after a long day. As well as a balcony with two outdoor chairs that took in the views of the stunning glaciers above.
Where to Eat and Drink
There are lots of pubs and restaurants near the hotel but if you are looking for a delicious meal and great wine. Then I highly recommend Zur Muehle Restaurant. I had the most amazing fondue with truffles and champagne for dinner.
Reviews of Zur Muehle Restaurant, Saas-Fee Switzerland on Trip Advisor
- If you are skiing, the hotel has a storage locker at the main cable car, to leave your equipment.
Location & How to get to Saas Fee
The two main international airports to Saas-Fee Ski Resort is Zurich International Airport and Geneva International Airport. Both are roughly around 3 hours via train and then bus, though Geneva should be a little less.
There are numerous ways of getting to Saas-Fee Ski Resort like trains, private transfer, shared transfer or hire a car. But the best and most cost-effective way to get to Saas-Fee is via train then bus. This should take you between 3hours from the Zurich Airport to Saas-Fee Ski Resort, depending on changes.
The standard train is as follows:
Zurich Airport → Zurich Central Station → Visp (You change onto the Bus 511) → Saas-Fee Village
- Keep track of the trains and platforms using the SBS train app
- You can buy your train tickets online beforehand to miss the queues
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Price: £8.92Was: £15.95
Price: £12.13Was: £12.59
Glacier village Saas-Fee Switzerland is one of nine Swiss Resorts that is car free which enables you to fully enjoy the mountain experience. If you are driving to Saas Fee there is a car park and an undercover area that you leave your car while in the resort.
The car park is situated at the entrance to the village and also it is where the public bus terminates.
If you are a guest in one of the hotels when you have parked the car use the free telephone to call the hotel to let know you have arrived. They will pick you up to bring you to your accommodation free of charge in their electric car.
If you have rented an apartment during your stay, check with your rental contract if they arrange to pick you up. If not you can get an electro-taxi or use a trolley to carry your luggage to the apartment.
- Peak season: Monday – Sunday 6.15 am – 19.45 pm
- Contact – Parkverwaltung Parkhaus Saas-Fee 3906 Saas-Fee
- Trolleys are available on deposit at the tourist office (across the PostBus terminal).
- You get around by electrically powered buses that are free of charge
- Electrically powered taxis are available
Top Tips Saas-Fee
- Looking for some extra fun, why don’t you try the Feeblitz toboggan run with its 55-degree incline. You can also do it in the evening after your day of exploring.
- If you are looking for somewhere to go out at night or just for a drink during the day try the Popcorn Bar, near the tourist office. Apparently, there is Disco Club here during the winter season which is supposed to be pretty good too.
- We can’t live without the internet, so you will be glad to know there is FREE Wifi in the whole area.
- There is a little electric train that runs across the village of Saas-Fee for FREE.
Discover more of Switzerland
- A Guide on Things to Do – Davos, Switzerland
- The Lodge – Champéry by Mrs Miggins, A luxury Ski Chalet – Champery Ski Resort, Switzerland
- Sunrise hike and Breakfast on an Alpine Farm – Morgins, Switzerland
- Ultimate Skiing Guide – La Clusaz Ski Resort, France
Thank you for reading this article ‘A Summer Winter Sports Region Saas-Fee Switzerland’. I hope you sign up for the WinterCard for the 2018/2019 season, as it really is a great offer.
Have you been to Saas-Fee Switzerland before? I would love to hear your experiences in the comments below.
The WinterCARD is considered to be the best priced season pass in Europe. You will only receive your WinterCARD if at least 66,666 orders are submitted before the 31st October 2018. Spread the word to your friends and get them to order a WinterCARD as well. Help us reach our crowdfunding goal!
Remember that you need to get some good Hiking Boots before your next adventure.
Feeling Adventurous or looking for other ideas, here are some of the other amazing activities you can book in the Canton of Valais area.
Disclaimer: Even though I was working with the Saas-Fee Tourism Switzerland. All views are my own and based on my own experience.